The day of action to support Vestas workers on Thursday 17 September is an opportunity to protest against the closure of the factory on the Isle of Wight, with the loss of 625 jobs, in an industry that is supposed to be expanding and is vital to the future of the climate. We know about several protests and meetings organised so far – a list below. If you know of any more or would like advice on organising something in your area, please get in touch, either through comments or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Googlemap with useful sites marked including the Newport and East Cowes Vestas plants, and Vestas HQ in Warrington. Protests and meetings for the day of action are also shown.
- NATIONWIDE “Save Vestas” National Day of Action. Actions around the country in support of the campaign to Save Vestas and for Green Jobs – see list below
- BIRMINGHAM 5-6pm, demo outside Government Office of the West Midlands, 5 St Philips Place, Colmore Row, Birmingham B3 2PW, plus leafletting of local stations. Called by Campaign Against Climate Change and Birmingham TUC, tel. 07846 490 408
- CARDIFF 5-6.30pm, Nye Bevan Statue, end of Queen Street, supported by Cardiff RMT, PCS Wales, CACC, Leanne Wood AM, Climate Camp Cymru, World Development Movement, tel. Adam 07940 108146
- CENTRAL LONDON Rally, from 12.30pm at the Department of Energy and Climate Change, 3 Whitehall Place, London, SW1A 2AW, organised by PCS activists; and another from 5.30pm also at DECC, organised by Campaign Against Climate Change
- CENTRAL LONDON 7.30pm, public meeting ‘Jobs, Education, Peace and Climate’, London Welsh Centre, 157 Grays Inn Road, WC1X 8UE. Speakers include Vestas worker, Jeremy Dear, NUJ, UCU, NUT. Organised by NUJ
- MANCHESTER 5pm, rally, Piccadilly Gardens; 8pm till late, solidarity social, Chorlton Irish Club, 17 High Lane, Chorlton, M21, directions: http://tiny.cc/chorltonirishclub, organised by Manchester Green Party
- NEWCASTLE Assemble 4.30pm, Newcastle Civic Centre for march through the city centre and rally outside the regional government offices, Gallowgate, tel. Ed 07740 099479
- NEWPORT, ISLE OF WIGHT March to County Hall. Assemble 12.30pm, Church Litten Park, Newport. 8pm, workers and supporters will meet for a drink in the Chicago Rock Cafe, Newport
- ROTHERHAM 7pm, solidarity with Vestas Workers public meeting, Unity Centre, St Leonard’s Road. Speaker from Vestas, plus Corus worker and striker from Tower Hamlets College UCU
- SOUTHAMPTON Rally 12 noon, outside Civic Centre; 5pm, demonstration at the Vestas Southampton factory, Hazel Rd, Woolston; 7pm, open meeting in the Dockers Club, Brunswick Square. Supported by RMT. Download Southampton events leaflet here.
- WARRINGTON Protest at Vestas Warrington HQ, 302 Bridgewater Place Warrington, WA3 6XG, 7.30-9am